COLON VILLAGE COUNCIL
REGULAR MEETING-JAN. 10, 2012
VILLAGE HALL 7:00 PM
Meeting called to order by President Whitford and the pledge of allegiance recited.
Present: Bell, Delp, Kuhlmann, Whitford, Percival, McManus, Cruan
Also Present: Schultz, Baker, Brinkert, Weinberg
Consent Agenda: Approval of agenda, approval of minutes from regular meeting of 12/13/11 and special meeting 12/27/11, financial report and bills to pay in the amount of $29,656.16 Consent agenda approved with following change: bills to pay in the amount of $32,178.17 Percival/McManus, unanimous consent.
Public Comments: Guests
- Fire Agreement-A committee of Whitford, Delp and Bell met with attorney Tomlinson on this issue. Recommendation to council from this committee and attorney Tomlinson would be to table this matter at this time. Discussion was held among the council members with audience participation on this issue. McManus made motion to accept fire agreement and directed Village President Whit ford and Village Clerk Schultz to sign agreement and present to township for signatures, seconded by Kuhlmann. A roll call vote was taken with 7 yeas-Bell, Delp, Kuhlmann, Whitford, Percival, McManus, and Craun. Motion passed. Village council members felt, this was the right thing to do, for the people of the village, township and the men and women on the fire department that serve this community so well. The $1300.00 shortfall from Township’s refusal to pay will have to be made up by the fire department. Audience participant, Doenges asked everyone to buy a t-shirt or help the fire department by attending the pancake breakfast.
- DPW Report: Report submitted for review, Weinberg requested a meeting with Craun and McManus from street administration to go over options for rails in front of M&M grill.
- Police Report: Brinkert to attend MI association of Chief of Police conference Feb. 8 & 9. The cost for two days not to exceed $160.00 Delp/McManus
- Fireboard Report- minutes in packet for review
- Lake board Report: Water quality report for Palmer, Long & Leply lakes in village office, for public review.
- Planning Commission: Next meeting Jan. 19th at village hall—7:00pm
- Colon Community Park Board Report: Office manager Baker working with Connie Thramms, while Blackman recuperates from hip surgery.
- DDA Committee Report- Dec 7 2011 approved minutes and Jan 4, 2012 unapproved minutes in packet for review: Dan Earl resigns verbally from committee, committee working on cook book and selling ads in River Country, to help pay back village for initial outlay. Please email Baker at village office, with any great recipe’s you would like to see included in cookbook.
- Safe ways to school: nothing to report
- Other Committee Reports: Percival reported on EDC news- On Jan. 3rd 2012 the County entered into an agreement with Southwest Michigan First for 5 years at a cost of 1.2 million dollars. Staff will grow to 3 full time employees and still have same EDC board. Director will now be an employee of SWMF (Percival is a member of the board since its inception in 1997). Next year under collaboration we can show state that we are the first (to Percival’s knowledge) EDC that is doing as the governor asked. Cruan reported on options for employee insurance. She will meet with village insurance agent Mike Neely to see if we can make any adjustments
- Update on the open air ordinance: Nothing new
- Update on city banners: Rick Fisher not present, nothing new
- Update on benches: Tenney and Osthoff, from planning commission to meet with attorney Tomlinson on this issue.
- Water dept. service: Office manager Baker reported that we will not need to increase the cost of water service to offset increase to fire department. Monies received from ITC improvements, will cover the cost. Council will need to put this increase in the 2012-13 budget.
- Set budget workshop dates-Budget workshop scheduled for Jan. 16th-6:30 at village hall. Schultz to post.
Public Comments- general: Whitford brought to meeting the “Freedom of Information” paper work, which was obtained from township. Township stated at the Dec. 27th 2011 meeting, that no such documentation existed and that no one had ever come to township to ask for such documentation. He wanted to express his opinion on this issue, and as to the expense the township had spent on attorney fees (from 9-28-10 thru 3-22-11, it did not include April-Dec. 2011) to save so little. This was just for informational purposes. Kuhlmann asked that all of this conversation be stopped, as it would be counterproductive at this point. Talk broke off
Adjournment @ 7:50 Craun/Kuhlmann
Unless otherwise stated all motions passed